Submissions for the 3rd International Conference have been received, and the committee will be evaluating them over the next several weeks. We’ll be posting information on the papers and lecture-recitals as soon as everything is confirmed.
CALL FOR PAPERS
You are kindly invited to submit proposals for the Third International Conference on Music and Minimalism, which will be held from 12-15 October 2011, at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
Keynote speakers will be Louis Andriessen and Kyle Gann.
All scholars in this area are invited to submit papers. The conference welcomes all papers concerning minimalist music, American, European, and worldwide, as well as the many subsequent styles it inspired. Relevant topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The minimalist ‘core repertoire’ as frequently identified
- European minimalisms: the various and often lesser-known minimalist and post-minimalist contributions from across Europe: Louis Andriessen, Gavin Bryars, Hans Otte, Eliane Radigue, Karel Goeyvaerts, Zoltan Jeney, Steve Martland, …
- Especially encouraged are papers on crucial but less public figures such as Tony Conrad, Phill Niblock, Jon Gibson, Rhys Chatham, Julius Eastman, Terry Jennings, and so on.
- Minimalist music in opera and music theatre
- Minimalism today: how is minimalism, almost half a century after its historical ‘birth’, reflected in the recent musical output? Both continued minimalist concerns from longtime minimalist pioneers, and – particularly – the reception of minimalist aesthetics and composition techniques among younger generations of composers are welcomed here. (See also the remark about lecture-recitals, below)
- The significance of minimalist and post-minimalist music as cultural practice
- Aesthetics/listening/analysis: discussions of the particular ways in which minimalism invites listening attitudes and their impact on music analysis
Contributions are welcomed in the form of individual papers (20 minutes). Abstracts containing a maximum of 500 words should be sent as email attachments, by January 17, 2011, to 3rdminimalism[at]gmail[dot]com
The conference is also eager to present lecture-recitals, including the possibility for composers to present their own minimalism-related work. Those considering to submit a proposal for such a lecture-recital are strongly encouraged to contact Maarten Beirens ( 3rdminimalism[at]gmail[dot]com ) as soon as possible in order to discuss their plans informally, prior to submitting a proposal.